ISD Wedding Services
Congratulations on your upcoming marriage and we pray your union and your home are blessed. Islamic Society of Delaware is pleased to offer the Islamic Wedding Service (Nikkah) in accordance with Islamic norms and Delaware state law.
To arrange for the performing of Nikkah, please contact Br BMA Belal at (302)367-4818 and provide necessary documentation.
Please note the following guidelines to help make your ceremony run smoothly:
- Obtain a Marriage License before the ISD Wedding Ceremony from New Castle County Clerk of the Peace. Additional information available at 302-395-7780 or https://nccde.org/126/Marriage-Licenses
- The following individuals should be physically present at the Marriage/Nikkah ceremony:
- Father of the bride or an equivalent Mahram (relative guardian) to her, serving as Wali
- 2 Muslim witnesses (ISD can provide if needed, with advance notice)
- The following documentation will be required on the day of the marriage at ISD:
- Marriage license (the clerk of the peace)
- No Marriage/Nikkah is performed without valid Marriage License.
- Photo Identification for bride, groom, and witnesses
- An agreement specifying the amount of the Mahr (dowry) agreed upon and how/when it will be paid.
** Fee for the ISD Nikah Service: $150
Wedding / Nikah Registration Form
Please fill and submit form for requesting Nikah at ISD
In Islam there are 4 conditions which must be met for a Marriage/Nikkah to be considered valid.
1. Consent– There must be mutual consent from both the bride and the groom. Both must explicitly express there interest to marry each other.
2. Wali– A wali is a male guardian who looks out for the best interests of the bride.
3. Witnesses– Two adult witnesses must be present.
4. Mahr– The bride has a right to receive a gift from the groom. This gift is the sole property of the bride, even in case of divorce.
If these four conditions are met a marriage is considered legal in Islam. However, in order for the Sheikh to perform the Nikkah the couple must provide a marriage license from the State of Delaware.
Listed below are recommended reading for those interested and/or are discussing marriage.